In his great novel about the French Revolution, called A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens began his story with some of the most memorable words in all of English literature:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…
These words have never been truer than they are today. Everywhere we look, in every direction, the world appears to be falling apart.
- We are racked by wars and rumors of wars.
- Immorality and violence are rampant.
- Our money is being devalued and debased.
- Our educational systems have been hijacked by Humanists and Atheists.
- Our political systems are gridlocked by value wars and corruption.
- All of nature seems to be reeling out of control, producing one calamity after another.
- Our churches are being destroyed by rampant apostasy.
- True Christianity is under attack from all sides, and Christians are being marginalized as intolerant bigots.
Yet, despite all this economic, social, political and religious chaos, it is the best of times because all these developments are a fulfillment of end time prophecies that point to the imminent return of Jesus!
Jesus Himself said that society would become as immoral and violent as in the days of Noah. And He said that when we see that happening, we are to “look up and be watchful, for our Redemption will be drawing near” (Luke 21:28).
Those of us who have committed our lives to Jesus may see all that is dear to us disintegrate before our very eyes, but we are going to win in the end.
We may suffer terrible persecution, but we are going to win in the end.
We may see the collapse of the dollar and the fall of the United States as a world power, but we are going to win in the end.
How can I be so confident? Because the Bible promises us ultimate victory, and I know for certain the Bible is true.
Our Promised Victory
What is our promised victory? Let me summarize it for you.
- We are promised that at any moment now we will be taken out of this world in the Rapture of the Church.
- We are promised that God will then pour out His wrath on the wicked world leaders who currently thumb their noses at Him.
- We are promised that Jesus will then return to reign over all the world in glory and majesty from Mount Zion in Jerusalem, and all the earth will be flooded with peace, righteousness, and justice.
- We are promised that we will ultimately be given an eternal home on this planet after it has been refreshed and perfected by God.
- We are promised that we will live eternally on that new planet in glorified, immortal bodies in the presence of our Creator and Savior.
Again, how can I be certain of these victorious promises? Because the Bible tells me so. And the Bible can be trusted as the infallible Word of God.
How do I know that?
Because it is the only book in the world that contains fulfilled prophecies.
And, because all the prophecies concerning the First Coming of the Messiah were literally and precisely fulfilled, we can be confident that all the prophecies about the Messiah’s return and triumph will be literally and precisely fulfilled.
In the next installment of “The Promise of Victory,” we’ll look at the four major prophesied triumphal events on the horizon that we as born again children of God can look forward to.