In an attempt to puzzle together what some in Islam believe concerning the end times, we discover that Islam’s minor signs which speak of general trends are a mirror of Christian end time signs. The signs similar between Christianity and Islam cover:
- An increase in ignorance concerning the fundamentals of the faith.
- Increasing instability of the faith (Muslims becoming Christians overnight).
- An increase in false prophets.
- An increase in apostasy (as evidenced by Muslims following false christs).
- An increase in religious pretentiousness (as in the building of luxurious mosques).
- An acceptance of astrology.
- An increase in alcohol use and illicit sexual relations.
- An increase in natural calamities.
- An increase in political corruption.
- People longing for death (due to the increase in calamities and wickedness).
- Increasing paganism. (Muslims will increasingly follow the life-styles of non-Muslims.)
- An increase in war and civil wars (even wars among Muslims).
There are a number of minor signs that are peculiar to Islam. They are as follows:
- Women will outnumber men by 50 to 1. (No reason is given, but it is likely due to the expectation of many jihad martyrs in the end times.)
- The caliphate (the seat of Islamic authority) will be established in the Holy Land. (This prophecy is a problem. What was meant by “Holy Land?” If it refers to Palestine, it is unfulfilled. If it refers to Saudi Arabia, it was fulfilled 1400 years ago.)
- The Arabs will be destroyed. (This is another troublesome prophecy. What does “destroyed” mean? The Ottoman Empire, controlled by Turkish non-Arabs, conquered all the Middle East in the 1500’s. Some argue this was a fulfillment of the prophecy. But it did not lead to “the Hour.” And now the Arab nations have reasserted themselves.)
- The habitations of Medina must be greatly extended.
- The Muslims must fight the Turks and “the people whose shoes are made of hair.” (This has been applied to past battles with the Turks and the Tartars. Yet, “the Hour” has not come.)
- The Arabs must conquer Constantinople. (The city, now called Istanbul, was conquered by Muslims in the 15th Century, but not by Arabs.)
- Mecca will be reduced to ruins.
- A people will emerge who eat with their tongues as cows do.
- Time will contract, with a year being like a month and a month like a week.
- Wild beasts will speak to men.
- The Euphrates River will uncover a mountain of gold.
In the next part of this series on Islamic Eschatology, we will look at the major Islamic signs of the times.