We’re continuing our look into how the United States has interacted with the state of Israel since it became a nation in 1948, and what the Bible say about our future relationship. We’ll finish by exploring some biblical insights and Satan’s goals will be revealed.
Let’s conclude by taking a look at what the Bible has to say about all the pressure that is being applied to Israel by the United States and the rest of the world.
Of course, the most important verses are to be found in Genesis 12:1-3 where God told Abraham that He would bless his decendents through Isaac and that He would bless those who bless the Jews and curse those who curse the Jews.
And history attests to the fact that God has been faithful to that promise. Throughout history, the nations and empires who have persecuted the Jews have ended up in the dust bin of history.
The prophet Zechariah said that in the end times the nations of the world would continue to ignore God’s warning about mistreating the Jews. He prophesied that all the nations of the world — all — would come against Israel over the issue of the control of Jerusalem (Zechariah 12:2-3):
2) Behold, I am going to make Jerusalem a cup that causes reeling to all the peoples around; and when the siege is against Jerusalem, it will also be against Judah.
3) It will come about in that day that I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples; all who lift it will be severely injured. And all the nations of the earth will be gathered against it.
And the prophet Joel warned that those who get involved in this process of pressuring Israel to divide up its land will experience the wrath of God (Joel 3:1-2):
1) For behold, in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,
2) I will gather all the nations and bring them down to the valley of Jehoshaphat. Then I will enter into judgment with them there on behalf of My people and My inheritance, Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations; and they have divided up My land.
The Folly of Appeasement
History proves conclusively that a policy of appeasement never works because all it does is whet the appetite of the aggressor. Winston Churchill put it this way: “An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”67
Both the world’s political leaders and the Humanistic leaders of Israel are deceived into believing that the Arab-Israeli crisis is a political one that can be solved with political compromise. But the fact of the matter is that it is not a political crisis — it is a spiritual one that is immune to political settlement.
It is fueled by Satan’s maniacal hatred of the Jewish people. He hates them because:
1) Through them God gave the world His Word.
2) Through them God provided the world’s Savior.
Satan also hates them because God chose them as His witnesses to the world and has promised to bring a great remnant of them to salvation through faith in their Messiah.
Satan wants to prevent God from fulfilling that promise, and so he is determined to kill every Jew on planet earth. He has tried it once before through Hitler. He is preparing to try again through the Antichrist.
But Satan will fail, for God has decreed that a great remnant of His Chosen People will be saved and will serve as the nucleus of a Jewish population that will become the prime nation of the world during the Millennium.
True peace is coming to Israel — but not through peace treaties negotiated by men. It will be achieved when the Prince of Peace breaks from the heavens and arrives on the Mount of Olives, and the Jewish people will cry out: “Baruch Haba B’Shem Adonai!” (Matthew 23:39).
Meanwhile we need to pray for our nation, because our leaders are literally crying out for the wrath of God to fall upon us as we try to force the Israelis to divide their capital city and surrender their heartland.
Psalm 122:6 commands us to “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.” Since peace will not come to Jerusalem until the Prince of Peace returns, that prayer is really a prayer for the return of Jesus. So pray it fervently, and in the meantime, get up every morning, look at the sky and cry out: “Maranatha! Maranatha! Maranatha! Come quickly, Lord Jesus!”
66) Congressional Research Service, “U.S. Aid to Israel,” by Jeremy M. Sharp, April 11, 2014, summary page (no page number), http://fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf.
67) BrainyQuote, Winston Churchill, http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu100130.html.