Can Bible prophecy change your life?
Did you know there’s no religious book, not the Koran nor the Hindu Vedas nor any other holy book out there, that has real fulfilled prophecy? Like for instance, a Muslim will say, “Surah 81:6 says wild beasts will gather together, so therefore, oh, we have zoos today, therefore that’s fulfilled prophecy.” That’s not fulfilled prophecy! That’s just a generally vague statement that invites any convenient interpretation.
No, I’m talking about explicit, highly detailed, fulfilled prophecies. The world has just one source for this caliber of prophecy — the genuine Word of God found in the Bible.
Now get this. Not counting prophecies in the Bible that have to do with Israel or the Church or nations, let’s just focus on those First Coming prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ. Did you know there are 300 general and 109 specific prophecies made about the Messiah’s First Coming? Mathematician Peter Stoner calculated that just 8 of those 109 prophecies being fulfilled in the life of one man is 1 in 10 to the 17th power. That’s a 1 in 10 followed by 17 zeros! That number’s impossible, unless there’s an omniscient God involved, that is.
When you see all of these Bible prophecies being fulfilled in the life of one person — Jesus Christ — you can only conclude that Bible is the true Word of God. You therefore can trust the Bible. You can then put your faith in Jesus and grab hold of His salvation and promise of everlasting life. A foundation of trust is what Bible prophecy gives us, and that knowledge changes lives.
Prophecy’s Proven Pre-Dated
You’re wondering if maybe those prophecies were written after the fact? You can read the prophecies from the Psalms, Major Prophets, Minor Prophets and other biblical books and be assured that they have been historically and archaeologically proven without a doubt to predate their fulfillment. Those books were written hundreds of years before Jesus came to this earth. There’s no credible debate to this fact.
We have first-hand eye witnesses in the Gospels. We have extra-biblical support from contemporary historians such as Josephus and Tacitus who testified that Jesus was on this earth at that time.
The God of the universe knows everything from beginning to end. He knew what would happen to His Son before the earth was even created. With such divine foreknowledge, we can be assured of the fact that these prophecies were not written after their fulfillment.
10 Messianic Prophecies
Not convinced? Let’s then look at just ten of the events concerning the Messiah that Jesus fulfilled at His First Coming. I’ll even give you two more prophecies on top of Dr. Stoner’s eight.
1) Born of a virgin — Isaiah 7:14 prophesied that 700 years before Jesus was born. Fulfilled in Matthew 1, Jesus was unlike any person in all of history, for He was born of a woman who never had sexual relations with a man.
2) City of birth — Micah 5:2 prophesied the Messiah would be born in Bethlehem, and not just any Bethlehem, but Bethlehem Ephrathah, located just south of Jerusalem. In Israel at the time there were two Bethlehem’s, kind of like we have a Springfield in every state today. Matthew 2 and Luke 2 confirms that Jesus was born in that Bethlehem.
3-4) Called out of Egypt — Hosea 11:1 foretold that the Messiah would be called out of Egypt. Herod killed all the infants in Bethlehem as prophesied in Jeremiah 31:15, causing Jesus’ family to flee to Egypt for safety. Matthew 2 explains that Jesus was brought back from out of Egypt after Herod died.
5) Heralded by a messenger — Isaiah 40:3-5 prophesied that the Messiah would have a herald who would come before Him, and that role was fulfilled by John the Baptist.
6) Perform miracles — Isaiah 35:5-6 foretold that the Messiah would be able to perform miracles that no other human could do. Throughout the New Testament, Jesus healed the blind, fed the poor, and raised the dead, including Himself.
7) Preach the Good News — Isaiah 61:1 prophesied that the Messiah would proclaim good news. Jesus taught you can be forgiven for your rebellion against God and restored to Him through Christ’s sacrifice. Jesus saves people from their sin and its sentence of Hell when in repentance we accept Him as Savior. Then we can fellowship with God for all of eternity. Sounds like good news to me!
8) Come from Galilee — Isaiah 9:1 foretold that the province of Galilee would be honored by having the Messiah minister from that location, and it did indeed function as Jesus’ base of operations.
9) Cleanse the Temple — Malachi 3:1-2 prophesied what can be read in Matthew 21, when Jesus purified the Temple by driving out the greedy money changers.
10) Messiah cut off — This vital prophecy from Daniel 9:25 provides the exact number of days until the Messiah would come to die. From the decree by Artaxerxes to rebuild Jerusalem to Matthew 21 when Jesus came riding triumphantly into the city was exactly 173,880 days. Amazing!
I could go on and on, for there are 99 other prophecies that prove that Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies concerning the First Coming of the Messiah.
So, if Jesus fulfilled 100% of the First Coming prophecies, then what’s the percentage that He’s going to fulfill all of the Second Coming prophesies? There’s a whopping 500 Old Testament verses and one in every 25 verses in the New Testament that prophesy about Jesus’ Second Coming. Clearly 100%.
Knowing Jesus fulfills prophecy will ultimately change your life.