Application to America
Now that we have looked at Part 1, let’s apply these principles to the United States. As I have pointed out many times before, I believe God raised up this nation with the purpose of using our great natural resources and technical ingenuity to spread the Gospel all over the world.
As we fulfilled His purpose, He poured out blessings upon us — blessings like unparalleled freedom and prosperity and immense power and worldwide influence. He even gave us the blessing of serving as the key nation in the rebirthing and nurturing of the nation of Israel.
But, like ancient Judah, we became enamored with our wealth and power, and we began turning our back on God.
- The Almighty Dollar became our god.
- Greed became our motivator.
- Gambling became a national pastime.
- Sex became our obsession.
- We became the world’s largest consumer of illegal drugs.
- We kicked God out of our schools.
- We legalized abortion.
- We endorsed homosexuality and same-sex marriage.
- And we became the moral polluter of planet earth through our violent, immoral and blasphemous movies and television programs.
As we wallowed in the sexual revolution of the 1960s, God began raising up prophetic voices like Dave Wilkerson, calling this nation to repentance. And in the years since that time, he has raised up many more prophetic voices, 13 of which I identify in my book, God’s Prophetic Voices to America. When we refused to repent, the remedial judgments began to fall:
- The Vietnam War which occurred on the heels of the sexual revolution of the 1960s.
- The 9/11 Attacks (2001) — God allowed the terrorists to be successful in attacking the two symbols of our pride: the Twin Towers in New York, which represented our wealth; and the Pentagon in Washington, DC, which represented our power.
- Hurricane Katrina (2005) — Undoubtedly God’s response to our immorality and our forcing Israel to abandon the Gaza Strip. The storm formed in the Gulf on the last day of the Gaza Strip withdrawal and hit New Orleans as it was getting ready to host its annual homosexual festival.
- The September 2008 Stock Market Crash — Again, a response to our attempts to strong-arm Israel into surrendering its heartland. It occurred on the eve of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and the market fell by 777 points — indicating the signature of God.
- The Election of Barack Obama (2008) — God gave us the kind of leader we deserved — a man who was the most pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, anti-Capitalist, anti-Israel leader in the entire history of our nation.
- “The Perfect Storm” of 2020 — A pandemic combined with a stock market crash, the collapse of our economy and pandemonium in the streets.
The Decay of Society
Let me take a moment to emphasize to you how serious the decay of our society has become. Only a person my age can appreciate how radically and how quickly our society has disintegrated.
I was born in 1938 when autos still had running boards and gasoline was 20 cents a gallon. When I was born…
- Abortionists were sent to prison.
- Pregnancy out of wedlock was thought of as scandalous.
- Homosexuality was considered unnatural and immoral.
- Pornography was despised as a sexual perversion.
- Drugs were something you bought at a drug store.
- Marriage was sacred.
- Living together was taboo.
- Divorce was a disgrace.
- Same-sex marriage was beyond even the wildest and most depraved imagination.
- Homemaking was honored, and daycare was provided by mothers in their homes.
- Child abuse was almost unheard of.
- Ladies did not curse or smoke.
- The word, “damn,” was considered flagrant language in a movie.
The first major motion picture to use a curse word was Gone with the Wind in 1939. The movie ended with the phrase, “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” In 2013 a film called The Wolf of Wall Street, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, had the “f-word” in it 544 times in 180 minutes!
In 1997, the veteran television star, Steve Allen, denounced the growing filth in movies and television by saying, “We have become a society where vulgarians entertain barbarians.” And that was over 20 years ago!
In the third part of this series determining what the Bible has to say about a future revival or revolution in America, we will realize Humanism has indeed won the cultural battle.